Everyday household items you should be aware of that have dangerous chemicals in them
We remain very cautious about our health and surroundings outside of our home. We cross streets checking both sides, tell our kids not to accept anything from strangers. Also in the home, we are constantly vigilant about our health and skin. But we rarely know about our potential threats within the household. Scientists are also paying attention to other products than food in the household since we are facing more and more diseases and problems day by day. Research have brought out shocking results revealing how our everyday products are very much toxic and thus resulting in our gradual deterioration. Here is a list of 10 products from our household which are an absolute threat to our well-being:
- Non-stick cooking Supplies: Non-stick cooking supplies can save you from cleaning problem but this saving cost you a lot. The polytetrafluoroethylene that makes the Teflon non-sticky, gives off a toxic gas at high temperature, which is linked to various diseases as cancers too.
- Plastic Bottles: By now we have all come to know about the adverse effect of plastic bottles on our environment. But even if they remain in our household, they can leak toxic elements in our drinks. Single-use plastic bottles are even worse for leaching chemicals especially when we leave it in the trunk in sun or microwave.
- Cleaning Supplies: Cleaning supplies contain various toxic elements that negatively affect our systems in the body. All purpose cleaners contain ammonia, which is linked to damage kidney and liver. Bleach is a strong oxidizer that can burn eyes and skin. We often thin that we don’t have any alternative. But baking soda, lemon, hot water works fine as cleansing solutions.
- Air Fresheners: Just like cleaning products, air fresheners are also a threat to our health despite cleaning our house. If the room is not properly ventilated, the toxic chemicals like ethylene-based glycol, phthalates other chemicals remain in the room causing hormonal abnormalities and mainly asthma.
- Perfumes: Fragrances which are a common part of our beautification are made of chemicals like benzaldehyde, ethyl acetate, camphor, linalool etc which are when inhaled cause nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation to eyes, skin, throat, and lungs. These also cause kidney damage and headaches.
- Bug Killers: Bug killers should be strictly avoided both inside and outside of houses as researchers have said that insecticides cause neurological damage to children.
- Cosmetics: People generally use 6 to 12 cosmetics over a day. And sadly these cosmetics include toxic chemicals which are a potential threat to our health. Try to use synthetic fragrance-free cosmetics or those products which are made from natural oil or mineral based.
- Fabric Softeners: Softeners use toxic chemicals like quaternary ammonium salts to create a thin layer on our clothes. This can cause skin irritation, headaches, and respiratory problems.
- TV and Game Consoles: Phthalates are found in TV and game components which have been linked to impaired brain development.
- Canned Foods: Bisphenol A which is found in canned food containers cause hormone disrupting chemicals causing male infertility, heart disease and diabetes.